8/18/14

Pharast 9th, 656 AR

We didn’t have a chance. It was more of a slaughter and bloodbath than I’ve witnessed to date. They came shortly after dusk. At first we could only hear them, the hundreds of footfalls...the snap of the traps. Still they came. Others were screaming as they were attack in their homes.

When one of the windows was bashed open we got our first glance of them. Horrendous. Blood-thirsty. Unstoppable. We wager there must have been at around four hundred that came, at least as many we thought were missing from the town. What could four do against one hundred times their number?

We fought hard as we could. After the first window was breached many others were quick to follow and we were surrounded from all sides. They used sharp talons to climb the roof above us even. We must have dropped the first ten before the hopelessness began to sink in. I didn’t see the later half of the fight, though at least I brought one down with me...as if that is any consolation.

Sis told me after that a strange looking one entered with them unlike those of the Wrath. Keisuke took to calling them, “The Perfect Ones”. Half of their body was horribly mangled and alien, the other half a pristine example of the human form. Apparently it controlled Sis during the battle at some point...though I don’t recall it, myself.

When things were looking their most grim, myself and the priest bleeding out on the floor and Sis under the things control...Chiyo saved Keisuke. She pounced through the broken doorway and latched on with her sharp fangs on to the Perfect One’s back and neck. Evidently, it was not enough as it reached behind itself and plucked her off, slamming her into the ground. The rest of the Wrath monsters were uncertain how to handle this betrayal of one of their own, but Keisuke used the distraction as a chance to launch one of his spells into the hurt Perfect One, enough to kill it. From what he said, this was enough to snap Sis from the trance and control she was under and caused most of the Wrath monsters to begin to flee...despite the fact they were obviously winning the battle. It confused all of us suffice to say...perhaps it hints at some sort of weakness though. Besides that, it showed us how beyond us this actually was.

When we eventually met up in the morning, we decided our best course of action was to seek out the tower a half day travel from town and hope the one there has some idea of what is going on and how to stop it. We simply cannot do it on our own.

A strange thing also occurred when I was nearly on death’s door this time. So much so I hesitate to write it down here and simply pretend it was due to the lack of blood and hallucinating…or hitting my head as I fell.

I saw Grandfather. He looked exactly as he did all those years ago before he died protecting us, though floating and translucent...spirit-like. He was mouthing something at me, though try as I might I couldn’t understand or hear it. He didn’t look disappointed, I recall distinctly being surprised by that, but definitely worried. It felt so real I have a hard time simply convincing myself it was due to the reasons above though…and the drink that night did nothing to dull the image from my mind. Even when I awoke with this pounding headache, it was still clear as the bright sun in that clear sky. Maybe it’s time to start doing my own brewing for something stronger…

More worryingly though, I was unable to protect Aiko again. Something needs to change. I’ll give it some thought during the long ride ahead of us I suppose…


 
*The next section of writing looks unlike any other entry, the writing jagged and wrote in a hand guided by absolute hatred and seething anger*

That damned Mountain Priest! May demons feast on his soul!!! Almost killing me and I am supposed to trust his incompetence to protect Aiko? Master Motaga was a fool if he thought this bakayaro could take care of and protect her! What sort of stupid deity would grant such a stupid creature power instead of the quick and merciful death he deserves?!?!*It ends abruptly with the next page returning to the other writing style, crisp and neat*



Something is inside me. I think the wrath that twisted the forms of the ones in the village has seeped into me...and I’m terrified of what it might drive me to do.

The previous entry did not properly convey what occurred so I’ll try make put it down more clearly now that I’ve calmed down. During the trip up to the tower we came across a river crossing where the others noted the bottom looked strange. The mud at the bottom was a bright orange and marked with black stripes, not unlike a tiger’s fur. The more magically inclined informed us this seemed to be due to some mixture of transmutative and necromantic effects. Strange surely, we elected to conjure our water from then on out and not trust the river.

After about half a day total of travel we arrived at the tower. The same large river encircling it completely, around 100 ft across where the width was the shortest and a single stone bridge. The mountain priest, after a cursory examination, declared it safe so I lead the way as I usually do across.

Thank the Gods that Aiko had stayed back somewhat as around the midpoint the entire thing collapsed around me, perhaps weakened by the poisonous magical effects we spied earlier downstream. I was agile enough to dodge most of the rocks and cushion my landing into the water, but I was momentarily pinned by debris beneath the surface. I had enough strength to slip free and Sis helped pull me out shortly after.

It was at this point I heard...something. It wasn’t my own thoughts I realized after, but I felt such burning hatred and unquenchable wrath toward the priest for putting myself, but more so Aiko, in danger I nearly drew my blade on him that moment. I do know I went off on him for a short time before I saw the looks on my companion’s faces. Aiko’s was the worst...while it was mostly shock, there was a hint of fear in her eyes and that is what forced me back to a more stable mind.

I fear it is the water that holds transformative properties that changed many of the village into the sinspawn...and that I’m potentially next after falling into the water around where the magical energies appear to be most concentrated. With the bridge collapsed we have no easy way to get to the tower and everyone agrees that contact with the water is dangerous. We’re not far from the area that the hedge witch is believed to dwell in so we’re going to try make our way toward that area before nightfall and see if we can find her cabin. Hopefully it holds some clues to what is going on here and a way to stop it for the sake of the village...and my own.



No comments:

Post a Comment