3/20/15

Pharast 29th, 656 AR (con't)

*A page has obviously been ripped out of the journal, with the jagged torn parchment giving no indication as to reason*

*The entry following the ripped page lacks grace compared to earlier entries with big blobs of ink unceremoniously spilled upon it indicating the writer was likely well into the sake at the time* 

We had the most AMAZING time! It was everything I hoped it would be and then some!

It started with us finding our way to a truly massive pavilion, flanked by the Empress's equally impressively attired guards. Aiko was having fun teasing me about Kiyoko along the trip. Evidently my affection wasn't as subtle as I had thought or perhaps one of the others (I'm betting Baoji while he was well into his drink) let slip some of what happened during the House of Long Shadows. Regardless...

I admitted to it. There is some affection there and I'd be stupid to try deny it. Aiko was always good at seeing through me anyway and she would have taken it as a personal challenge to make me admit it if I hadn't. What made it interesting is on the way in to the pavilion one of the guards of the Empress overheard and pulled me aside, suggesting if I'm serious to perhaps give poetry a try. Wasn't sure what to think and while I could see he was maybe setting me up for a joke or prank, maybe it was still worth a try all the same.

On our way inside we ran into Prince Bogden. Aiko was immediately ecstatic about his presence, the two running off together to play. I had a feeling they were going to be trouble together considering both of their personalities and tendencies. Keisuke only shook his head with an exasperated expression while the rest of us laughed.

Grand Master Hoshi of the Dragon Clan
After that we were lead into the feast hall where the Blade of the Empress, Lord Regent Yashimoto, Princess Nyotei, and the grandmaster of the Dragon Clan, Hoshi awaited us. I think we were all more than a little overwhelmed at first, especially by Hoshi who...well let's just say the tales and stories don't do him justice at all. The Lord Regent was a quieter sort, but you could tell when he did speak the words were carefully selected and carried undeniable weight. As for the Princess, she was bright and all smiles, happy that her son was returned and incredibly thankful for what we had done.

As for Kiyoko, she was there but as servant of the Princess she was serving the feast and not taking  a direct part. I didn't see much of a chance of getting to speak with her.

Aiko happily joined Master Hoshi, pouring his sake and taking in his presence and everything he did. I was seated by the Princess and across from the Lord Regent. There was a great deal of revelry, delicious food, and wonderful celebration. All the while, I had my journal snuck open on my lap, sketching out words and feelings onto the parchment in between the conversation and feast before us into a somewhat clumsy poem.

Hoshi shared a great many outlandish tales with us, undoubtedly somewhat embellished with each time he's told them. Aiko even requested if they knew anything of our grandfather and to our great joy, the Lord Regent even traveled with him at one time and shared that tale. When I'm a little more sober and can go over the details with Aiko I'll add that into its own section later in my journal. In summary, it gave us a better feel for who he was, a kind man who believed anyone was capable of redemption. I admire him even more now, if that was possible.

After he finished the story, it seemed a fitting moment so I offered him the katana grandfather gave me the day he passed away. The way Yashimoto's eyes lit up with surprise was frightening. He recognized it immediately. The blade's name is Ashura and it was one of ten ancient katana wielded by Orokugon known as the Zenith relics before the time when even Gilgamesh ruled the lands of Seiya Zei. Supposedly the ten weapons had been passed on to the greatest that served him. He said the weapon was now sleeping, though it might regain its power in time. Perhaps by coincidence...or by hearing its name, Ashura felt light as a feather and hummed with identity after he returned it to me. I'm a bit humbled, grandfather entrusted it to me and I have to do everything I can to keep it from falling into the hands of the Sons of Heaven. It won't be easy but I owe it to him and will do everything in my meager power to not let him down. This I vow.

While Hoshi took over with another grand tale of the time he killed a hundred dragons and outdrank Cayden, I had basically finished a rather short, though I like to think rather elegant considering the amateur attempt, at a poem. Though I was so focused between it, the stories, and the best sake have probably ever tasted that I didn't realize my actions had caught the Princess's eye. As I put the finishes touches on it she leaned close to read it and startled me a great deal! I think my face might have turned a dozen shades of red if it wasn't already rosy from the drink. 

Suffice to say it didn't take her long to read it through and realize what it was. Before I could think of saying much she had waved over Kiyoko and sent her off with the poem. She seemed...rather pleased I think? I like to think she approves of my affection, but I dare not hope too much. I mean, Kiyoko IS the servant of the Princess. Outside of Grandfather, I don't have too many claims to fame that I've earned myself yet. Perhaps someday though! I feel like she is worth the effort even if I have to spend decades to win her approval.

I didn't see Kiyoko after that and I'm really hoping it won't make things awkward. The not knowing part is killing me though. I mean...if she doesn't feel that way, I can understand. The difference in our stations is not insignificant despite what happened. Doesn't mean I'll give up, but the total mystery and her vanishing after has me fretting more than I probably should be...and here I said I would try not to get my hopes up. Foolish of me, I know!


Oh yes, the Lord Regent asked if we had any requests of them considering we saved his child and grandchild. While I badly wished for him to train me as a blade mystic in grandfather's footsteps, the needs of our present mission far outweighed my personal desires (not to mention I'm in no shape yet to even begin to master such elaborate techniques). After a moment of thought we requested he charter us an elemental galleon to take us to the capital of the Lion clan. While he seemed curious of why, he (thank the Goddess!) chose not to inquire further and simply said it would be done. I suspect he had an inkling he wouldn't like to know the reason. On the bright side, that should put us much closer to our goal, the next artifact in the Puzzle Canal!

Anyway, the festivities went pretty late after that. Most of us were stumbling on our way out when Bog and Chiyo raced up and began to tease Master Hoshi about smelling bad. Seeing the master of our Clan chasing the pair as they giggled was something I'll remember fondly in my heart for all time. So very uplifting!  This is why I feel great pride when I say I'm from the Dragon Clan within Seiya Zei. Despite how dark this world can get, there is hope and happiness there to treasure and protect.

Time to be calling it a night shortly. Aiko and everyone else have already drifted off to sleep. Baoji is snoring and I'm sure Chiyo will be chastising him come morning. I needed to enjoy at least one more quick drink and put all these thoughts to the parchment, though. If not, I fear---

*The entry ends abruptly*

No comments:

Post a Comment