3/14/15

Pharast 28th, 656 AR (con't)

*This entry continues almost immediately after the previous, though the handwriting appears shaky, as if the writer was rattled*


We made haste back to the inn, especially due to Keisuke's desire to ensure Chiyo was safe. I was fairly certain that Kieshkin's mother, Touka, would have handled things and tried to reassure him of such. Not sure my words soothed him much. Keisuke's turning into quite the parent since Chiyo's joined up with us. A welcome turn I think, though admittedly I fear if something happens to Chiyo what it will do to the poor man. We'll all have to work hard to ensure that never comes to be.

When we entered the Curled Ribbon Inn, Keisuke immediately headed up toward our room while the rest of us spoke with Touka. She curiously mentioned almost offhandedly a nice couple came to look after Chiyo the day after we didn't come back. For the life of me I couldn't think of anyone, nor could Baoji or Aiko so we hurried after Keisuke.

None of us were really prepared for what we found.

The door was left partially ajar and Keisuke stood just inside staring with his hands clenched. The 'pair' that had so happily taken care of Chiyo were the man named Dominus and his (friend? lover? bodyguard? I'm not sure...) Cecilia. The two that took on the entirety of the Sons of Heaven and apparently came out of the battle unscathed...and here they were looking after little Chiyo, waiting for us to return.

There was a fairly long moment of awkward silence before Chiyo ran and embraced Keisuke to welcome him back. Dominus was entirely...pleasant, though it seemed fairly obvious that he was reserving himself while Chiyo was there. While Aiko stammered that she would prepare some tea, Keisuke sent Chiyo off to get ready for bed.

Dominus Cross
Frankly, I don't know a lot about Dominus. I've heard since he's the head of one of the mercenary companies called the Black Lotus that partially controls a country called Raklion. That and he is believed to be the single strongest sword master in the world. I found myself a bit surprised, generally a title like that would have lit a fire in me to prove myself his better but after the events earlier and perhaps our more recent experiences, I'm not sure such a title would bring anything more than trouble. I feel like I've changed for the better. Certainly grandfather would never sought such meaningless things and even then the reputation he did have brewed up trouble for him (and made it all the harder for him to find peace and safety for us). Perhaps I've grown up a little recently...I would like to think so at least.

Then there is Cecilia. I know even less about her. She has some sort of tie to Dominus that makes her utterly (terrifyingly) loyal to the man. She's rumored to be from the far north in the lands where monsters rampage and no magic functions whatsoever. Dominus didn't even have to draw his sword while we watched her take on four of the Sons of Heaven without breaking a sweat. That battle feels like so long ago now, like a bad dream though...

Suffice to say the meeting was tense, only occasionally broken up by Chiyo's giggles and excitement. To summarize, Dominus wanted information specifically on Keisuke. He seemed to believe that Keisuke had one of the relics, which we explained was not the case, despite the intimidation rolling off Cecilia in tangible waves. You could have cut the tension in the air I swear.

Dominus had first hand knowledge of some of the strange occurrences that had followed Keisuke recently (specifically at the vault when the relic was stolen from his country and when he fought Skaetis with that glowing blue light). How he had such information I'm still not sure nor did the others. The man has a serious information network, magic at his disposal, or potentially is working alongside one of the factions against us. Too many possibilities and unknowns though. We'll have to be extra careful and on guard.

Eventually he believed us and the pair took their leave...almost too easily I still think. That worries me even more.

I had to quickly get these thoughts down before I collapse though. I fear come morning they would not be as fresh in mind as they are now. That said, even now I'm trying to quell the shaking in my hand through some strong sake courtesy of Touka. The pair were in a complete other league from our current abilities and I hope we don't have to deal with them again anytime soon (or ever).

No comments:

Post a Comment